My roommate and her boyfriend celebrated their 3.5 year anniversary this weekend and, at long last, after months of wondering when it was going to happen, he popped the question. There's no ring or anything yet because he wants her to go with him to pick one out, but she refuses because he should know her well enough to know what she likes... boy do I love hearing them bicker about it.

I'm happy for them, though I have to say, the engagement didn't really change their relationship. I don't have experience with engagements, so I can't say I know if that's standard or not. But they were together before this, knew they were both serious, knew they'd be spending forever together, knew they'd get married ONE day. It just seemed like a formality or something. And I'm pretty sure he gave her a promise ring a while ago, so... I suppose they've been unofficially engaged for a while. Maybe this was just to make it Facebook-official.

They went to the Winter Festival at Clear Lake and spent the night in this nice suite and all that. There were carriage rides and the plan was to propose on the carriage ride, but the carriage ended up taking like 8 people instead of only 2 people, making it much too crowded for a proposal. Instead, he waited until they were back in their hotel room and started telling her all these sweet things (my favorite: I want to share a stove with you... I don't know why, but I found that adorable).

She fell asleep as he was talking. I don't know about you, but I'd probably perk up a little if my boyfriend looked like he was about to PROPOSE. He had to wake her up so he could finish. She said yes, of course, but was admittedly upset that the proposal wasn't some grand, romantic gesture of his love for her.

I take issue with her attitude for a variety of reasons: 1) SHUT UP! YOU'RE ENGAGED TO A MAN WHO WORSHIPS YOU. 2) She constantly said it didn't matter HOW he proposed, but apparently it did. 3) I'm sure it's scary beyond all reason to propose, so I don't think we should hold it against him that he was nervous.

She was also upset because he was saying "cliche things." That's probably true, but we can't all be writers. I don't think he was taking the easy way out or anything; it's just the best way he knows how to express himself.

To some extent I understand her frustration with the event as a whole because I know what it's like to have a moment played out in your head and have it turn out nothing like that, but I think she should be able to put that aside and be, I dunno, excited to be engaged? Call me crazy, but that would probably be my first reaction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About